CLASSIFICATION OF CAKES
There are three general classifications of cakes which are:
· A cake made with fat.
· It also called butter or conventional cakes.
· It usually leavened with baking powder or baking soda.
· Example of shortened cakes leavened with baking soda or baking powder are standard yellow, plain white, chocolate, spice and fruitcakes.
· Pound cake is a compact, shortened cake leavened only by air and steam.
· A cake made without added fat.
· It also known as sponge or foam cakes.
· This type of cakes is leavened with beaten egg whites.
· Examples of unshortened cakes are angel food, meringue, sponge, dacquoise, genoise, and roulade.
· A cake made by combining the characteristics found in both shortened and unshortened cakes.
· It’s leavened with both baking powder or soda and beaten egg whites.
· The examples are angel food cakes such as lemon chiffon and chocolate chiffon cakes.
Brown, A. 2008. Understanding Food: Principles & Preparation.